<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: White Bean Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

Monday, August 1, 2011

White Bean Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing



I’m a salad person - not the kind of salad person that asks for dressing on the side, mind you.  As much as I love a fresh, healthy salad, what’s a salad without DRESSING? 

My mom is the salad maker extraordinaire.  All of my friends that have had the privilege of eating Mom’s salad comment on it with head thrown back and eyes closed.  Something like, “OHHHHHHHH – your MOM’s salad!!!”  

At about three years old, my daughter actually picked up her empty salad bowl and drank up what remained of the olive oil and vinegar.  Right there in front of everyone. 

Some have even had the gall to say (including my husband) “Why can’t YOU make salad like this?”  And, as if that’s not enough, “I mean I JUST CAN’T GET OVER HOW YOU CAN’T MAKE SALAD LIKE YOUR MOM”.

True story and I’m not bitter.

Well, I can admit defeat.  I don’t even try to make Mom’s salad anymore.  I have consented to - and actually enjoy - making “other” salads instead.  (Mom likes them too.) 

BUT - when my mom and step-dad come over for dinner, the answer to “What can I bring?” is always the same.  

“SALAD!”

White Bean Mango Salad with Honey Lime Dressing:

Ingredients:
 2 cups cooked navy beans (see note below)
1 carrot, peeled and diced
1 ripe mango, diced
2-4 tablespoons red onion, diced (I lean toward the 4)
handful of fresh cilantro, diced
1 ripe Haas avocado, diced

For Dressing:
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon honey
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

 sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions:

Make dressing by squeezing the lime juice into a small bowl.  Whisk in honey.  Then, while whisking lime honey mixture, slowly pour olive oil in a thin stream.  Continue mixing to emulsify. 

Toss salad ingredients together in a medium bowl.  Pour dressing over and toss again.  Add sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  Serve on bed of spinach or lettuce.

NOTE:  To cook navy beans, soak 1 1/2 cups dried beans in water overnight.  Drain beans and place in saucepan.  Fill pot with water an inch or two above beans.  Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.  Keep simmering for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are soft.  Drain.  At this point, I usually refrigerate them to use in a salad the next day.  It will probably yield more than the 2 cups in this recipe, but I either make extra salad, make hummus or throw in soups.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM , Anonymous Pam said...

Avocado, mango, cilantro...yum-o. I made it without onion and it was so good!

 
At August 10, 2011 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Jen said...

So glad you enjoyed it! I make this almost every week to munch on at lunch. I just cook up a bunch of beans and use them in hummus, salad, even cake.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home