<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Coffee Chip Ice Cream (Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Coffee Chip Ice Cream (Dairy Free, Refined Sugar Free)


I've not been one to indulge in ice cream too often - maybe because most dairy free "ice cream" offerings, in my opinion, aren't really worth the calories.  If I DO indulge in the real thang, it's going to be one flavor and one flavor only - COFFEE.  In fact, here's a confession for you:  when hubby and I were dating, we were known to frequent a certain ice cream chain.  My constant choice - I mean every time we went - was coffee ice cream with chocolate sprinkles.

Well, here's my coffee ice cream offering that is dairy free, refined sugar free, creamy and delicious.  My kids, like me, love the coffee flavor.

I've posted this  on Allergy Free Wednesdays Blog Hop.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw cashews
1 cup filtered water
1 can full fat coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen brand)
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup freshly ground coffee (I used decaf)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional - I use Enjoy Life)

Instructions:
Place first five ingredients into Vitamix or blender and process until very smooth.  Cashews will start at a grainy stage and then become smooth, so blend well.  

Place ground coffee in separate bowl.  Pour cashew coconut mixture over coffee and stir well.  Allow to steep 1-2 hours, depending on desired strength of coffee flavor.  (I lean toward two hours.)

Once steeping time is up, strain through fine mesh strainer.  Dump out grounds and strain a second time.  

Process mixture in ice cream maker according to your manufacturer's directions.  

Either eat immediately (will be soft serve) or freeze in a container for about two hours.

NOTE:  Keep in mind that the quality of ground coffee will affect the quality of the ice cream.  I prefer a smoother coffee blend.  The Fresh Market Blend is my preferred choice.  Also, if your kiddos are going to indulge, you may want to be sure to use decaf.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At February 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There Jen,

Back before I was diagnosed with Crohn's I had a serious weakness for coffee milkshakes and coffee ice cream. Which is interesting because I don't drink coffee, but LOVE the smell and flavor of coffee. So, this recipe is right up my alley Jen! I love how you've included the cashews in there. And I don't need to mess around experimenting with a recipe - here it is for me! I will be making this one soon!

Hugs,
--Amber

Thank you for sharing this with us on AFW this week! So great!

 
At February 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Amber! It's one of our favorites now. It took some tweaking, but I think we got it down now. I had some friends over on Sunday evening and tried it out on them and they loved it. You are really the inspiration behind it as I've been addicted to peppermint chocolate chip ice cream since your post (and like I said, I've always been a coffee-ice-cream-only sort of person. So thank YOU for inspiring me! It's been a great thing for my daughter as I'm always trying to get more calories in her and I don't feel guilty giving her this ice cream. Thanks again!

 
At February 21, 2012 at 2:22 AM , Blogger Laura said...

This ice cream looks absolutely divine! I love that you use coconut milk and dairy-free Enjoy life chocolate chips. I am crazy about homemade ice cream so I will be making this yummy ice cream soon!

 
At March 2, 2012 at 8:37 PM , Blogger The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

Wow! This looks really good! I like that you use cashews and coconut milk for this recipe. It looks like it is firmer than mine have turned out.

 
At March 4, 2012 at 9:31 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thank you! I hope you like it. If you try it please let me know how it turns out. I'm open to suggestions and criticisms. It took me awhile to get the coffee flavor to my liking, but I don't prefer it to be too espresso-tasting, but more akin to the way I prefer my coffee - with lots of cashew cream and a touch of sweetener (agave is my usual choice). Hope you enjoy! I love your site - thanks for the great recipes and photos -

Jen

 
At May 12, 2012 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Havalah said...

This looks really good... but where can you get chocolate chips without refined sugar?

 
At September 16, 2012 at 9:11 PM , Blogger Hoosierdaddy said...

When you steep the coffee in the milk mixture is it heated up?

 
At September 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Nope! I actually steep it in the fridge or on the counter...

Hope you enjoy!

Jen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home