<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Aunt Nettie's Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Garlic (grain free, dairy free)

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Aunt Nettie's Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Garlic (grain free, dairy free)

I mentioned in my previous post on Apricot Chicken Salad, that I don't usually like traditional chicken salad "dripping with mayo".  I spoke of my dear Aunt Nettie's recipe for chicken salad made with roasted red peppers, garlic, parsley and olive oil.  (I'm salivating now...)

After obtaining hearty permission from my cousins on the matter, I am sharing this delicious family recipe with you.  My cousin Luanne's response to my request for permission to post this recipe was...and I quote..."Make the people happy!" 

With that in mind, here's the recipe. And I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that it does it's job - and makes you happy.

Mangia! 

(This post was shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays blog hop.  Check out all of the GREAT allergy free recipes!)


Aunt Nettie's Chicken Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Garlic

Ingredients:
1 large red bell pepper
3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed (guess how much I use?)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (flat leaf if you can get it but curly works too)
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper, to taste

Instructions:
Line oven rack with aluminum foil.  Turn oven on to broil.  Place red pepper on foil and roast until the skin turns black.  Using tongs, rotate pepper so it chars on all sides.  

Remove from oven and place in a bowl with foil (or a cover of some kind) on top.  Allow the pepper to sit as the steam loosens the skin.  Once cool enough to handle, peel pepper and pull out the stem and seeds.  If you must, give a light rinse in a bowl of cold water just to get the seeds off.  Dice pepper.

In a large bowl, add chicken, diced pepper, garlic and parsley.  Add olive oil to taste (liberally) and salt and pepper.  Give a stir with a large fork.  Adjust olive oil and seasonings. 

This chicken salad is better the longer it sits.  Enjoy it atop spring greens or on a slice of Yummy Grain Free Bread

Labels:

6 Comments:

At October 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yummy! I'm pinning this right now and can't wait to make it, thanks!!!

 
At October 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Cassidy! I'm planning to make your Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake soon and am so excited! Thanks for the pinning love!

Jen

 
At October 17, 2012 at 9:31 AM , Blogger Denise Marotta Lopes said...

Thank you for publishing this! I know the value of old family recipes, and appreciate your sharing this with all of us. I am going to get the ingredients today! Blessings!

 
At October 17, 2012 at 9:36 AM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Denise! I hope you enjoy it. You definitely have to love garlic to love this recipe, but it's in my blood so I don't even think about it.

Enjoy!

 
At October 17, 2012 at 9:23 PM , Blogger Lois said...

Good to see her name in print ~ Aunt Nettie's Other Daughter.

 
At October 23, 2012 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to try this Jen! I'll be featuring it this week on AFW. Just love this smart variation on a traditional recipe. :-)

Hugs,
--Amber

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home